These indications to adapt a narrative text to a play are valid for legends, stories and novels. Before adapting a narrative text to a play, you need to know the general characteristics of both texts since you will need to incorporate them into the adaptation.
* Account real or imaginary facts
* It has thematic coherence
* It has an argument that is the succession of actions or facts that the author tells.
* The theme is the main idea that the author wants to convey with his story.
* The traditional structure has a beginning, a node and an outcome
* There are main and secondary characters
* The story takes place in a given time and space
* There are different narrators and points of view, in each novel you choose who and how tells the story.
* It is made to be represented
* It has dimensions that indicate the conditions of the situation.
* Indicates elements of scenery, sound and lighting that will be brought to the scene
* The story is developed through the dialogues.
How to adapt a narrative text to a play
In this website I tell you the main steps to make the adaptation: read the text, take notes about the characters, where the action takes place, main actions, time, elements required in the scene.
After taking notes you have to write the text converting the description into dialogues, in this example of adaptation you will understand it better
1.- The first step is to make a reading to know the material to adapt
2.- Now we will adapt the action counted chronologically. The first paragraphs give us information about the protagonist “Young, he has a very developed sense of hearing, he reacts to any noise, he is bothered by the cataract of the old man” «Old man, he has a cataract in his eye, he does not suspect that the young man who takes care of him He wants to kill him. “The important thing in these paragraphs is to make a scene where you can notice the relationship between the old and the young.